Tuesday, July 04, 2006

coconut and cucumbers

Here's a quote that expresses perfectly how I feel about food blogs:

"I think the thing I like most about food weblogs is that they lift recipes and food off the page and into real life, in living color! You take one look at a picture of something cooked by a living person, not some invisible cookbook aggregate, and you say, Hey! I can do that. In fact, I am going to do it right now!

I found it along with a great post on Coconut Bread on mekuno cooking; and just to make it more food-blog-interactive, Karin found the recipe at another of my favorite blogs, bakingsheet.

We had hot dogs for the Fourth, which were ungourmet but perfect. Just to show off I made some cucumber salad, not really a recipe: cucumbers (peeled and seeded) and the kernels from one ear of corn, tossed with a dressing (a few tablespoons of mayo, soy sauce, lime juice, a bit of olive oil, rice vinegar) and a handful of herbs snipped from the garden: dill, fennel, cilantro, and mustard flowers). It was our hot dog antidote, the healthy part of our meal.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I'm not a big fan of cucumbers, but I would totally make that, mostly because it looks so good. Take that, photo-less Betty Crocker!

mary grimm said...

I only really like them in the summer, especially when D's father's garden starts producing them by the hundreds.
I always think I'm going to make pickles, and never do.