Sunday, August 12, 2007

OLS 7: food as medicine


The gardens (mine and D's father's) are producing beans, cucumbers, peppers, lettuce, kale (pictured), radishes, tomatoes and pears--so there has been a lot of local eating going on this week.
But the best local meal was made for me by D when I was sick--a medicinal soup made from chicken broth (from our last farmers market chicken), various garden vegetables and herbs, and a lot of garlic and cayenne pepper. It was a soup that made your eyes water a little and your nose run (wait--it was already running!), and it made me feel as if I might be on the road to recovery.
No pictures. As D said, just eat it for once, why don't you? so I did.

4 comments:

Gina Ventre said...

i like the added cayenne! delicious!

Anonymous said...

Your soup sounds wonderful! Hope all is well- there is nothing worse than a summer cold!

mary grimm said...

Gina--I often think that cayenne can improve anything. Maybe not ice cream; but even then...

Manerva--you're right--there's nothing worse! At least it gives me an excuse to read a lot.

Elana said...

Cayenne pepper always clears the sinuses for me. I like to put lots of chopped greens in my soups. With my immersion blender though, if I don't want it too chunky or leafy, I can puree it.