Saturday, January 06, 2007

good luck food


This probably should have gone in the end-of-2006 post--our New Year's Eve dinner, but I didn't get around to it, and then there was the mac & cheese thing, and so on. But I had to give it a post for 2 reasons--one is that my kielbasi photo looked so good, I didn't want to waste it. And two, I wondered about the good-luckness of pork and sauerkraut, which is the Slovak good-luck new-year's dinner of choice. I'm very fond of both, but why is it good luck to eat them at the end/beginning of the year? Living off the fat of the land? (pork) eating up the bitter/sour parts of life? (sauerkraut)
I'm passionately fond of sauerkraut, and would make it more often except that D is not as fond. I make it from my mother's recipe in a no-recipe way, but this year I made it with chicken broth because I forgot to buy beer and didn't want to go out again. And since I was changing the one thing I made another addition or two, which I hope my mother wouldn't hate (although she might find it faddish).
Sauerkraut for New Year's (or anytime)
1 bag sauerkraut, drained
a pork chop or a chunk of kielbasi
a good pinch of caraway seeds (about 1 tsp)
a smaller pinch of cumin seeds
a cup of beer or chicken broth
(if broth, also add a splash of vinegar)
1 small potato, grated
1 tsp diced lemon peel
Put sauerkraut in a saucepan with everything else but the lemon peel and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 30 minutes (while you're frying up the rest of the kielbasi in a skillet). In the last few minutes put in the lemon peel. Serve with kielbasi and plenty of horseradish, and follow (somewhat later) with champagne.
We added brownies with vanilla ice cream for dessert, and thought ourselves lucky to have found the brownies leftover in the freezer.

4 comments:

Bruce Owens Grimm said...

The sauerkraut recipe sounds delicious! I love sauerkraut but Kathleen doesn't so I don't get to eat that often.

Anonymous said...

Great recipe! Since you're a fan of sauerkraut, you might want to check www.sauerkrautnews.com where there are dozens of creative recipes for saukerkraut. Almost as good as the taste is the fact that it is so good for you. Very healthy.

Anonymous said...

A very happy new year to you Lucette -- and what an inspiring recipe. We love sausages, and sauerkraut around here.

mary grimm said...

BK--you and I can get together for a sauerkraut fest sometime.
Mrs. R--good site, thanks. Although I'm not too sure abt sauerkraut in desserts.
BL--happy new year back!